Thursday, March 31, 2011

InnocentInnocent. A couple of nights ago, I went to a screening of the United Nations Association Film Festival(UNAFF) film selection entitled Grandmother to Grandmother: New York to Tanzania.(see link at end of Blog) It is the powerful documentary about the Grandmothers in both the Bronx and in Tanzania who are raising their grandchildren: standing in the absence of their children, the parents who have either died (AIDS, gang-violence, drug-related), are incarcerated or are not capable of raising their children due to addictions. The description from the UNAFF website states "AIDS, drugs, and violence are wiping out a generation of parents, leaving millions of children behind". The grandmothers living in the Bronx have a task made more difficult because many are poor women living in sub-standard housing located in gang-ridden neighborhoods. The women inTanzania are impoverished by the AIDS epidemic at best and may be sick with AIDS themselves. But both groups are still stepping up and saving their grandchildren.

These stories affect my faith. I wonder where is God, that something this horrible can happen. I am inspired by the courage and selflessness of the Grandmothers. I see the power and generosity their communities provide. I see gritty faith shown in their ability to get up and do it again, one more day. I see joy in their lives. And then I realize what I am actually seeing is God showing up, amidst the trial.

I shot the image Innocent in a township in Capetown. I saw the same selfless, sacrificing community rallying around those in need, the same kind of effort going into saving their children. I don't think I will ever be able to understand the reason for suffering and evil in this world, but I AM glad God shows up to help us through.
~To God Be The Glory~

No comments:

Post a Comment