Thursday, May 19, 2011

Flow.Flow. I am thinking a lot lately about how one lives authentically as a follower of Jesus Christ. I hesitate to use the word 'Christian' because people have such negative ideas of what a 'Christian' is. Whether false information or bad behavior by those proclaiming that name, it generally connotates judgement, hypocrisy and non-tolerance. That is not what I strive for, believe me. The result of the Spirit of God indwelling a Christ-follower should be a growing amount of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control evidenced in the life of that believer. I want that. I don't care what anyone else does or doesn't do. In fact, in spite of what others decide or how they behave, I want to treat them with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

It is a tall order, because the natural reaction I many times have to difficult situations is not that listing of attributes. I need God's Spirit to change me on the inside... not through effort on my part, but through His transformation in me... so that Christ's intent becomes my 'normal'...a natural flow of who Christ is in me, out to the world. It helps when I am praying, reading the Bible, and paying attention to His working in my life, but those things are not a prerequisite to God's power. He promises to transform me in spite of myself.

I read a great book last week while traveling. It is the new book by Laura Hillenbrand (author of Seabiscut). Her MO is to research a person or event and then tell the factual account. Unbroken is the fascinating description of the life of Louis Zamperini; a rebellious child, Olympic runner, bombardier in WW II, Prisoner of War, and then civilian. Little did I know when I started the book that Louie had a post-war conversion experience that left him healed of his Post-Traumadic Stress Disorder and Alcoholism. All Louis did was accept the Spirit of God, through Jesus Christ into his heart. God did this work of transformation in a moment. My transformation (granted, not PTSD or Alcoholism) is taking longer, but when I read stories such as this, I know God is a God of His Word. I will be patient....!
~To God Be The Glory~

No comments:

Post a Comment